The speed of sound

I went to a concert at Soldiers field in Chicago a couple of years ago. The
crowd of 65,000 was clapping with the beat of the music. I was sitting at one
end of the field and noted a shimmering wave pass from one end of the stadium
to the other. Suddenly I realized I was watching sound! Goosebumps!

Lovely! That is the greatest benefit which we who know science have.
We can make thrilling discoveries, and that is one such discovery. It
doesn't have to be new to the world; it suffices that it is new to us.

Have you ever witnessed the spactacle (debacle?) of "music" played by
massed bands spread across a football field? The only conceivable
audience for this music would be in the blimp above the stadium, and
the musicians would have to be equipped with earplugs and play to visual
direction only.

Leigh