Lissajous figure demo

103. Rig two electric motors on a stand. Motor shafts are attached to
vertical mirrors that get spun. Mirrors are set up so that a laser bounces
from one mirror to the other mirror and then onto a screen. When one motor
spins, laser forms a circle on the screen. By spinning second motor at
different speeds and changing its direction, can form all sorts of intricate
patterns.

I do this with two tuning forks fitted with mirrors made from
aluminized microscope cover slips. I fit the forks into lead
bricks to hold them solidly and position them in the laser beam
with lab jacks*. Works in a large lecture room, and the forks
can be made audible with a microphone and amplifier (I use my
wireless mic). The Lissajous figures can be shown to be related
to consonances between the forks. Works beautifully!

Leigh

*They oscillate in mutually perpendicular planes.