Re: heat is a form of energy

Hi Leigh,

It may shock some to learn that I do use this metaphor for energy
(though not for entropy) but I thoroughly clothe it in appropriate
caveats when I first introduce it. Dan, I take it from what you are
saying that you understand that energy is insubstantial. Is there a
good reason you should shield your students and readers from this
piece of arcane knowledge? Feynman hangs it right out front, a good
idea in my view. Why are so many so opposed to full disclosure?

No, I have not conceded that energy is "insubstantial" (and I'm
not interested in reopening the argument). In some ways (I maintain),
energy is more "substantial" than anything else we know. But it isn't
a *separate* substance as a naive fluid model might seem to imply.
I certainly agree that caveats are appropriate.

dan