Re: heat is a form of energy

Some
teachers even try to smooth this over by introducing the "flow
of entropy" as a helpful concept!

This would not help any understanding of entropy. Fortunately, I have
not encountered this teaching technique.

In addition to Zemansky and Carrington (already cited), let me point
to Kittel and Kroemer, page 229, where a diagram shows "entropy and
energy flow" through a reversible engine. The Feynman lectures don't
use "entropy flow", but do refer (page I:44-10) to the "amount of
entropy which has been delivered". And there's a new book by someone
named Schroeder that even features a cartoon of little energy robots
marching along from a hot object to a cold one, carrying suitcases
full of entropy (which magically grow larger somewhere in between
leaving the hot object and arriving at the cold one).

Although Leigh will probably go to his grave fighting his holy war
against the practice, the fact remains that many teachers and learners
find it helpful to use the vivid language of flowing "substances" for
both energy and entropy. Do such models have limitations? Absolutely!
Should we therefore abandon them? Absolutely not!

dan