Re: Death due to Nitrous Oxide

I do a stunt where I take some liquid nitrogen into my mouth and spew
it upward in a spectacular fountain. It is not really a "demonstration"
unless a test of the third property of Nitrogen (colorless, odorless
[snip]

Leigh

Jearl Walker wrote about a similar demo he used to regularly do in a
chapter note in Halliday/Resnick/Walker 5th ed (p533, Boiling and the
Leidenfrost Effect). His dentist talked him out of future attempts while
repairing thermal damage to his front teeth. Walker suggests plunging his
hand into molten lead and walking over hot coals are his preferred safer
demos.

I do want you all to know I recruit science teachers into the profession
by telling them the job implies they can do cool things for the rest of their
lives and they never have to grow up :^).

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner