Re: Significant figures - a Modest Proposal

Robert A Cohen wrote:

Before this year, I used to separate precision and accuracy. I used
precision to describe the "random" error and accuracy to describe the
"systematic" error. I realized this was simplifying things, but I felt it
was sufficient for the students. Unfortunately, I can't succinctly
describe the problem I had with that approach.

The precision can be improved, as much as we wish (in principle)
by increasing the number of measurements and using the average.
But the accuracy can not be improved in that way; it can only be
improved by eliminating biasses.
Ludwik Kowalski