Re: Significant figures - a Modest Proposal

We have two kinds of errors, random and systematic. My
reaction time, while using a stopwatch, will create a random
error of +/- 0.2 seconds but a reproducible systematic error
will often be much larger, if the instrument is too slow or
too fast. I remember reading somewhere that the terms
precision and accuracy are used to make this distinction.
The term resolution, often used in optics, has to do with
the ability of distinguishing details, for example, in the
case of "empty magnification", or in the case of two nearly
overlapping peaks.

If my use of the word "accuracy" is correct (Michael
Edmiston used it in the same way) then what is quoted
below is not correct. Precision does not contribute to
the accuracy.
Ludwik Kowalski

Robert Cohen wrote:

...While I'm on the topic, I should mention that I will
be emphasizing the distinction between precision and
resolution and that both contribute to the accuracy of
the measurement ....