Re: resolution vs. precision

After I sent my first message about resolution and precision, I
received the posting by Robert Cohen about NIST, and the posting from
Leigh Palmer quoting Bevington and Robinson (a book I also recommend).

My understanding is the same as NIST and also Bevington and Robinson.
The remaining ambiguity is whether a single measurement can have a
precision. Some people seem to think a single measurement has a
precision equal to its resolution. I do not agree with that. I think
a single measurement has a resolution, but not a precision. The
experimentalist only knows the precision after several measurements. I
believe this is true because of all the things I mentioned under
resolution in my first posting. Sloppiness inherent in the instrument,
sloppy technique using the instrument, or varying nature all contribute
to the precision, and one can only determine these by making repeat
measurements.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817