[Fwd: Deadlines !] (fwd)

(forward widely, asap)
You were earlier briefed on the devastating cuts in the
works for federal science---YOUR actions are the only
way to improve the situation and time is short----

YOU HAVE A WEEK TO CHANGE THINGS
On Wednesday, 8 September 1999, Congress returns
from summer recess. That day, the House will consider,
debate, and vote on H.R. 2684, the FY '00 VA/HUD/Agencies
Appropriations Bill, which funds science in NSF, NASA, EPA, etc
H.R. 2684 contains draconian research cuts - unless changed.

The Senate's VA/HUD/Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee
meets on Thursday, 9 September to mark their FY '00 VA/HUD/
Agencies bill. They too plan to cut the FY '00 research budget.

On Sept 10, the last comments on the A-110/FOIA ammendment
will be accepted by the OMB.
OMB has much improved the situation by narrowing the definition
of data, setting a threshold of $100 million in impact of the research
before the law applies, and allowing preservation of rights of privacy.
They need to hear an endorsement of their new proposed text or the
organized opposition will prevail. [You can also advocate repeal of
the Shelby Ammendment altogether.] They will take e-mail commentary,
and they will tabulate possibly 10,000 comments the easiest way.
Send to Hon. Jacob Lew at grants@omb.eop.gov.

Senator Kit Bond (R-MO) is the Chair of the Senate's
VA/HUD/Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee. He
said recently that he has not received any appeals to
increase the science budgets to those proposed in the
FY 00 Budget Request., and that he does not have any
meetings planned on the issue. Senator Bond's
spokesman Dan Hubbard said, "I am certain that no one
has been in contact with us on this issue."

YOU should let Senator Bond know what YOU want --
BY LETTER OR FAX (he doesn't tally his e-mail)
Hon. Christopher Bond (R-MO)
Senate VA/HUD Appropriations Subcommittee Chair
Room SR-274
Russell Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510
202/224-5721 vox
202/224-8149 fax
314/725-4484 in Kansas City
573/634-2488 in Jefferson City
573/334-7044 in Cape Girardeau
314/725-4484 in Saint Louis
417/881-7068 in Springfield
kit_bond@bond.senate.gov email address
www.senate.gov/~bond web site
(Staffers assume that paper mail or faxes take more
effort, so they take them more seriously. If you can't fax,
then phone Senator Bond's DC office number, and ask to
speak to whoever handles science appropriations questions.
Then, tell them briefly who you are and that you are strongly
opposed to science cuts proposed for FY 2000 and why you
believe the full Budget Request increases are in order--BE BRIEF.

If You Do Only One Thing This Summer...this should be it.

Hon. Ted Stevens (R-AK), Chairman of the full Appropriations
Committee is your next order of business--same message
same vigor, same way-
202/224-3004 vox
202/224-2354 fax
907/271-5915 in Anchorage
Room SH-522, HSOB
senator_stevens@stevens.senate.gov email address
stevens.senate.gov web site

Hon. Robert Byrd (D-WV) is the full Committee Ranking
Democrat, and he is also on the VA/HUD/Agencies
Subcommittee.
202/224-3954 vox
202/228-0002 fax
304/342-5855 in Charleston
Room SH-311, HSOB
senator_byrd@byrd.senate.gov email address
www.senate.gov/~byrd/ web site

Senator Mikulski, is the Ranking Democrat on the
Senate VA/HUD/Agencies Appropriations Subcommittee
and needs to hear the same thing the same way.
Hon. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD)
202/224-4654 vox
202/224-8858 fax
410/962-4510 in Baltimore
410/263-1805 in Annapolis
301/345-5517 in College Park
410/546-7711 in Salisbury
301/797-2826 in Hagerstown
Room SH-709
Hart Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510
senator@mikulski.senate.gov email address
www.senate.gov/~mikulski web site

Hon. C.W. "Bill" Young
Chair, House Appropriations Committee
2407 RHOB
Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-5961 vox
202-225-9764 fax
St Petersburg FL 813-893-3191
Largo 813-581-0980

Hon David Obey (D-WI) is the Ranking Member
of House Appropriations full Committee
2314 RHOB
Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
202-225-3365 vox
202-225-3240 fax
Wausau, WI 715-842-5606

But no matter what you do - phone call, letters by snail or by fax -
it is vitally important that YOU (yes, YOU!) do something NOW.
Make your anger at these disastrous cuts known to
your representatives! What are you waiting for?
Write those letters and make those phone calls!

Here is a letter I just saw---
Dear Senator/ Representative :
As a citizen vitally interested in my country's science
as the foundation of our growing economy, I am
extremely distressed over Congress' intention to
cut any FY 2000 science budget.
Is this the way you welcome the 21st Century?
I strongly urge you to totally reject any science cuts
and to fund NSF, EPA, NASA and other agency
requested FY '00 budgets in full.
Sincerely,
NAME
ADDRESS
========cssp======

Sandra K. Abell
President-Elect, National Association for Research
in Science Teaching (NARST)
Professor of Science Education
School of Education
Purdue University