Re: SI &c., eh?

At 11:37 -0700 8/29/99, Daniel Schroeder wrote:

Leigh: What unit of (barometric) pressure is used in weather reports
up there? (My guess is bars or millibars, like my bicycle tire gauge,
but official SI would require pascals or kilopascals.)

Don't bet money on it. That's one of the successful unit changes.
Atmospheric pressures are reported in kilopascals (101.3 kPa = 1 atm)
in Canada. Tire pressures are guage and are customarily in psi. (I had
a bicycle tire guage from somewhere in Europe calibrated in units of
kilograms per square centimeter!) Bicycle gearing is denominated in
two different ways according to convention. In English Canada we use
"inches". The inch-gear of a bicycle is the diameter of a wheel which
would roll the same distance in one revolution as the bike moves in
one revolution of the pedals. I don't know what convention is used in
French Canada (the only place in the world where STOP signs don't say
"STOP"), but in France the gear is quoted larger than this by a factor
of pi (and is called "developpement"). Of course it quite sensibly
represents the distance traveled by the bike in one pedal revolution,
and is given in centimeters.

Our produce is sold by the pound, but our deli stuff is sold by the
hundred grams. Often both types of units are used on signs in the
stores (English Canada). Our packages (in French and English) are all
metric, with rare Imperial equivalents included, but there are a lot
of 454 gram packages around! Gasoline is always sold in liters, but
our old (Imperial) gallon was twenty percent larger than the US
gallon so we are well rid of it. Gasoline is about the same price as
it is in the US when all conversions are taken into account, but our
metric dollar (the "looney") is about two thirds the size of a US
greenback dollar ("buck", "smacker", or "simoleon").

Pronunciation is another bug here. The CBC has a policy of pronouncing
"kilometer" correctly (i.e. the SI English way: kil' o me' ter) in
English, but many Anglophone broadcasters still pronounce it the odd
British way, ki lah' meh ter. Physicians here, even those who know it
is incorrect, often pronounce "centimeter" in the affected British
medical manner: sahn' ti me ter.