Re: style

brian whatcott wrote:

I also try to remember that there are numerous European languages
that "spell like they speak" and to a native speaker of such a language,
looking for written typos in (idiosyncratic) English is very much an
up hill task. Still, an awareness of the politics of spelling should be a
motivation for using spell checkers, one whispers up the sleeve.

That's an excellent point, Brian. I have learned to direct my foreign
students to the Writing Lab run by the English department instead of trying
to improve their English myself.

I also appreciate your message for the new word it brought into my
vocabulary, but several readers have pointed out to me that such pre-Cambrian
software does still exist and some physics teachers are (sob) constrained to
use it.

poj