Re: Judgement on opposing airfoil views, pt. 1

Hi all-
Rick Tarara wisely remarks:
There is NO upwash without the wing (in motion) being present. The upwash
HAS to be caused by the wing doing _something_ to the air. Define this
process _exactly_ and perhaps some of the conflicts will be resolved.

Rick

To which I add my puzzlement about all the heated and unheated verbiage
generated by this topic.
I have looked at John Denker's web site and everything I see there
comports with my own (very conventional) understanding of aerodynamics.
Anderson came and gave a colloquium at Argonne, and I was assured that
he and Eberhardt would calculate lift on an airfoil in the time honored way.
All parties believe in Bernoulli, Newton's laws, and the need for
cirulation to cancel an infinity in the inviscid approximation.
Where they have heatedly differed is in the verbal characterization
of their results.
My conclusion - it's hard to translate mathematics into colloquial speech.
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography