Re: Judgement on opposing airfoil views, pt. 1

Sorry to pull out such a small piece of a long response..BUT:

----- Original Message -----
From: William Beaty <billb@ESKIMO.COM>

If it is not the wing that is initially pulling upwards upon the "upwash"
parcel, then it must be air-parcels elsewhere which do so. In my opinion,
we have two options: either the upwash-creating acceleration pulls the
wing down, or the creation of upwash acts to create downwash elsewhere.
In either case Newton's 3rd law is satisfied, and conservation of momentum
is statisfied.

There is NO upwash without the wing (in motion) being present. The upwash
HAS to be caused by the wing doing _something_ to the air. Define this
process _exactly_ and perhaps some of the conflicts will be resolved.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Educational Software
Available for Download

see: www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ for details

New Win9.x and PowerMac packages now available.