CORRECTION Re: end of thread: physics, non-physics, and airplanes

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, William Beaty wrote:

*) When applied to more complex situations, such as formation flight, the
scoop model can be coerced into making predictions. In such cases, it
makes grossly wrong predictions.

True. To make the correct predictions, the "scoop" must not be a
simplified model, but instead must be an extended vortex-pair crossection
whose size is related to wingspan, and whose intercepted volume/second of
air is related (I think) to the square of the area. When a slightly-
expanded "Newtonian" model is used, it predicts that planes which fly
adjacently will experience greatly reduced Induced-drag. Really now, if
you want to defeat the Newtonian explanation of flight, I think you'll
need to find out what it actually is...

Oops! In the above, that's supposed to read "square of the wingspan", not
"square of the area".

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com