From: paul o johnson <pojhome@FLASH.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 2:33 PM
Subject: et cetera

--Boundary_(ID_GQMQ4xrMFj56e35lPIx+JQ)

As a regular reader of The Physics Teacher, I have scratched my head
over more than one of A.A. Bartlett's et cetera... columns. At first, I
wondered if the point of the pieces was to highlight physics mistakes
in publications or typos carrying double entendres a la The New Yorker,
but I have concluded that their intent to to publicize tidbits that may
be of interest to physicists. That said, I still don't understand about
half of them.

For example, the item on p. 373 of the recent September issue entitled
"Could It Be Designed Any Other Way?" Is there something strange or
humorous in this story that is going over my head?

Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps some of you who enjoy
Brother Bartlett's column would explain the two or three entries each
month to the rest of us.

poj
Collin County College

--Boundary_(ID_GQMQ4xrMFj56e35lPIx+JQ)

As a regular reader of The Physics Teacher, I have scratched my head over
more than one of A.A. Bartlett's <i>et cetera...</i> columns. At first,
I wondered if the point of the pieces was to highlight&nbsp; physics