Re: 15 minute classroom version...

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, David_Anderson wrote:

There is some bouncing off the bottom of the wing. In fact, simulations
show that almost 1/2 of the lift on a barn door in flight (and your hand
out the car window) is due to the air interacting with the bottom. Of
course, it is a little hard to directly detect the force caused by the
lowering of the pressure on the back of the hand. It would feel like a
force on the palm.

I certainly agree. The problem is this: does the column of air below the
wing behave as a trampoline resting on the earth? Clearly it does not.
I've set forth my reasoning in other messages, so everyone can see what I
see if they choose to. When the wing interacts with the air immediately
below it, this does *not* cause a significant force to arise between
itself and the earth. It does not even cause an indirect, delayed force.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com