Re: Light bulbs

Put a bulb (either burned out or not) base down in a cup of water and
put it on the turntable in your microwave oven. Set it for 15 seconds
or so and watch it 'light up' as it passes through the 'hot spots' in
the oven.

OK, I tried this and found it rather amusing. What's going on here?

"Rather amusing?" I tried it and found it spectacular! Hot sparks,
green and pink filamentary gas discharges, the whole volume suffused
with a bright glow, and more I'll look at when the water cools. I
used a brandy snifter which supports the bulb nicely in a vertical
position. I ran for a minute with about 50 cc of water in the glass.
In retrospect that should have boiled unless a lot of power was
dissipated in the display.

I have another parlor trick to show my students. Thanks, Chuck. Who
was the contributor at San Antonio?

Leigh