NOAH'S FLOOD (book review)

Last winter I read in SCIENCE NEWS about a new book by 2 oceanographers,
entitled NOAH'S FLOOD. My husband bought it for me, and I thoroughly
enjoyed it! It's a scientific adventure. Perhaps the book can be of some
influence with students who hold creationist views.

Here's a synopsis. I encourage you to read it - and tell the story to your
students.

Drs. William Ryan and Walter Pitman are earth scientists at the
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University. Both had 3 decades
of research experience when they started looking into the question, "Did
Noah's Flood Occur?" in 1991. Their answer: yes, a catastrophic flood did
occur 7500 years ago, which probably was the basis for the Biblical story
of Noah's flood. (However, as they point out, the Biblical interpretation
is a separate thing from the physical occurrence of a catastrophic flood!)

To summarize their findings:
7500 years ago, the Earth was near the end of the ice age. The oceans were
about 50 feet LOWER than they are now. Consequently the Black Sea was cut
off from
the Mediterranean Sea. The climate there was arid, and due to evaporation
the level of the Black Sea was about 500 feet below sea level. Advanced
agricultural settlements probably existed along its shore.

As the sea level rose, it reached the top of the Bosporus Straits region
and began to pour into the Black Sea. The force of the inrushing water
broke down the earth barrier, and large volumes of water poured in for
years. Ryan and Pitman calculated that a typical lakeside settler had to
travel about 1/2 mile per day to escape the rising water.

Some of the lakeside people probably fled in boats. Some probably went
southeasterly, eventually ending up in the Tigris-Euphrates river valley.

The authors discuss the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is a legend recorded on
cuneiform tablets found at Ninevah in the Tigris-Euphrates river valley in
the late 1800s. It describes a flood which in many respects parallels the
Biblical story of Noah's flood. The cuneiform writings are much older than
the Bible story, though. As Ryan and Pitman state, "Gilgamesh is considered
the most significant literary work to come out of ancient Mesopotamia,
composed and recomposed over a span of 2000 years, with the words kept
alive in the traditions of the singing bard long before they were committed
to writing in the
cuneiform glyphs." (The Biblical account of Noah's flood is newer; it was
written less than 3000 years ago, they noted.)

Ryan and Pitman tell how the Gilgamesh and Noah flood accounts, as well
as other ancient flood myths, support their scientific investigations. They
followed many lines of research, including marine geology, climatology,
archaeology, anthropology, linguistics, oceanography, paleontology,
climatology, genetics, and physics (radiocarbon dating, geophysical
calculations, etc.). They worked with many other scientists. They cite
many pubished scientific papers. These two oceanographers brought together
a large amount of previously fragmented data to form a coherent picture of
our history 7500 years ago.

What's the next step in this investigation of humanity's history? Find the
ancient shoreline settlements!

This is being done. On March 6, 1999, Al Bartlett (retired from the