Re: Newcomb's paper

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Inge H. A. Pettersen wrote:

Do you (or anyone else on the list) have a reference to this paper of
Newcomb ?

I'll poke around. I searched www but didn't find a ref. I recall seeing
an article which analyzed Newcomb's paper and found that the main problem
was that he didn't predict the low weight/power ratio of gasoline engines.
They also found a couple of other mistakes, and if these were corrected,
Newcomb's math showed that even an efficient steam engine could have been
used.

"We are probably nearing the limit of all we can know about astronomy."
- Simon Newcomb, astronomer, 1888

"The demonstration that no possible combination of known substances,
known forms of machinery, and known forms of force can be united in a
practicable machine by which men shall fly for long distances through
the air, seems to the writer as complete as it is possible for the
demonstration of any physical fact to be." - astronomer S. Newcomb,
1906

"... The limit which the rarity of the air places upon its power of
supporting wings, taken in connection with the combined weight of a
man and a machine, make a drawback which we should not too hastily
assume our ability to overcome. The example of the bird does not
prove that man can fly. The hundred and fifty pounds of dead weight
which the manager of the machine must add to it over and above that
necessary in the bird may well prove an insurmountable obstacle to
success."
"The practical difficulties in the way of realizing the movement of
such an object are obvious. The aeroplane must have its propellers.
These must be driven by an engine with a source of power. Weight is
an essential quality of every engine. The propellers must be made
of metal, which has its weakness, and which is liable to give way
when its speed attains a certain limit. And, granting complete
success, imagine the proud possessor of the aeroplane darting
through the air at a speed of several hundred feet per second! It
is the speed alone that sustains him. Once he slackens his speed,
down he begins to fall. He may, indeed, increase the inclination of
his aeroplane. Then he increases the resistance necessary to move
it. Once he stops he falls a dead mass. How shall he reach the
ground without destroying his delicate machinery?"

Source: Newcomb, Simon. Outlook for the Flying Machine. The
Independent, October 22, 1903. pp. 2508, 2510-2511.

Simon Newcomb also wrote:

"...The demonstration that no possible combination of known
substances, known forms of machinery and known forms of force, can
be united in a practical machine by which man shall fly long
distances through the air, seems to the writer as complete as it is
possible for the demonstration of any physical fact to be."

Source: Clarke, Arthur C. Profiles of the Future. New York, Harper and
Row, 1962. pp. 2-3.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com