Re: 2 million teachers in 2007!

At 09:47 AM 20/08/99 -0500, you wrote:
>The recent interchange about the lunar eclipse is a good example of how to
>deal with the breadth issue.  One person observed something, and asked a
>question about the model...why aren't there eclipses each month?  The
>teacher wisely said I don't know but perhaps we can find out.  An
>additional tack might have been..since we know there aren't eclipses every
>month, what about our model might have to be modified...that assumes of
>course that the model has been constructed.  Then you do what he did, you
>look for new information.
>I think some concerns about breadth are the result of assumptions about
>the nature of science as a set of facts to be known rather than a way of
>coming to know.  The eclipse interchange was a good example of dealing
>with the sorts of How do we know, why do we believe questions that Arnold
>Arons has suggested are so important.
>I believe that if an elementary  teacher has a good although limited
>substratum of understanding, that teacher will be able to creatively
>address question raised by students...not I didn't say answer the students
>questions...why would one do that, as opposed to stimulating their own
>inquiry.

Elementary children are often curious and can ask questions that would cause even some of the more eminent physics scholars on this list to think carefully before they framed a reply.  One of the things that I do with some of the elementary teachers (sadly, it's mostly the ones who really like science) is to match up the little curious elementary kids with one of my high school physics students.

Before they get into this, the physics students consider themselves to have all the knowledge needed to deal with any question that a little kid can come up with.  They soon learn different. They then do some joint research to find out the answers (if they can).

It's a learning experience for both.

Glenn

Physics Kahuna
Kahuna Physics Institute - on the flapping edge of physics research.