Re: Travesty of quantum decoherence

At a time incorrectly stated as 10:36 PM 8/19/99 +0000, the alleged Phil P.
Johnson wrote:

No physicist can refute the following facts that prove the God of the
Bible created the world as per the Genesis account.

Au contaire. I am a physicist. I can and do refute many of the
creationists' so-called facts. Here's another refutation:

Quantum mechanics proves the existence of a creator, since there must
have been some entity external to the universe to observe it and thus
collapse it into a determinate state.

The passage to the classical limit, which is colloquially called "collapse"
of the wavefunction, does not require an observer. It requires only
dissipation, plus a careful application of the usual equations of motion.
It doesn't even require very much dissipation, as anyone who has ever
prepared and sustained a macroscopic Schroedinger-cat-like superposition
state can tell you.

Oliver Sacks told the story of the man who mistook his wife for a hat.
Well, that's nothing. Today we learned that apparently it is possible to
mistake a heatsink for a deity.