Re: The smell of rain

I know exactly the smell you smelled: That wet-asphalt smell just as the
rain starts, which disappears upon further rain activity. I always
attributed it to the dust that was on the asphalt. I assume the dust
contains particles of tar, which give it that distinctive odor.

Cliff Parker wrote:

I was walking through a parking lot today just as it started to rain. I
was struck by that familiar smell. Can anyone tell me what exactly we
smell in this situation or lead me to a source that would explain?

Cliff Parker

--
Brian Wesley Rich