Re: celestial momentum farce

In the newtonian frame of distant stars our solar system has a
certain amount of angular momentum. What fraction of it is
associated with the spinning motion the sun? Assume the
of center of the sum is at rest in that frame. Is it really only
2%? Why not much more? Why not much less?

John Denker wrote:

Let's see.

1) My brother-in-law lives near Jupiter. When he calculates the masses,
velocities, and lever-arms relative to a datum in his laboratory, he finds
that virtually none of the angular momentum is in Jupiter; the sun is
massive and speedy and distant, so it contains virtually all of the angular
momentum; there is also a small contribution from Saturn, plus various
other nits and gnats. ..