re-define "reaction motor???"

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Michael Edmiston wrote:

So I am inclined to think: if a wing is not acting as a reaction
engine, then neither is a jet engine. But I much prefer to say they
are both reaction engines.

Before this thread, I thought that the "reaction engine" concept was very
clear. If a device derives propulsion through accelerating some mass,
then that device is a reaction engine. A "reaction engine" reacts against
something and causes that something to accelerate. The particular origin
of the mass doesn't alter this definition. Rockets and machine guns and
ships' screws and airplane propellors are reaction engines. I've never
encountered anyone who objects to this definition. What goes on here?
Something odd, in my opinion.

It might be unclear whether certain systems are reaction engines or not,
but in my opinion we should be VERY CAREFUL about messing with the
definition of "reaction engine" itself. We certainly should pursue clear
descriptions, and examine any disturbing details. But we should also
strenuously avoid distorting any well-known concepts in our quest to
defeat our opponents.

Science is not about defeating opponents, science is about gaining clear
understandings. If I am allowed to redefine the meaning of "reaction
engine" or "force", then I can easily win an argument, but it is not
science, it is a debating tactic. It leads to victory over opponents, but
it also leads to confusion and the obscuring of previously-clear ideas. If
we don't control ourselves, a "debate" can easily become the very opposite
of a science discussion. We win the fight and defend our egos against the
evil foes, but we seriously damage our reasoning powers and our scientific
integrity.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com