Re: Textbook prices

John wrote:

Sales of new books by publishers is not the only force acting here: publishers
perceive that a significant number of professors are of the opinion that
homework problems "wear out." That is, solutions get collected in fraternity
files and the like, so a constant supply of new problems is required.
Publishers say that they are giving faculty members what they ask for.
Fortunately, some publishers are simply publishing problem supplements.

In my introductory courses I've been providing full homework solutions
(on reserve or on the web) anyway, which students may refer to at any
time. This may sound crazy, but it does wonders for student morale
and reinforces the idea that homework is to be a learning experience,
not a test. It also frees me from having to grade the homework
carefully--all I do is check that they've turned it in. But on each
due date we have a quiz in which I give them one or two similar problems,
and these are graded carefully. All in all, a wonderful system at least
for my situation. Stole the idea from my colleague Dale Ostlie.

I agree with John, though, on his point that publishers generally
are giving professors what they ask for. If we don't like the textbooks,
we need to organize and ask for something different!

Dan