Re: is free-fall an inertial frame?

As am I. Part of this is a mid-life crisis about whether I think
Newton's Laws are worded very well. From a teaching standpoint, I
have found that Newton's 1st (and 3rd) Laws are responsible for as
many wrongs answers from physics learners as right answers (maybe
more!). IOW, they can get you in as much trouble as they get you out
of.

You are not alone in thinking N's laws are "not worded well"; Mach, Hertz,
Helmholtz are early folks who have written along those lines. For an
english language and more modern discussion I highly recommend that one
looks at L. Eisenbud's AJP article "On the Classical Laws of Motion", Vol.
26, pg 144, (1958).

Joel Rauber