Re: Thanks

Ray Rogoway wrote:

I'm going to revive an older thread, one that appears around a month
ago. Another student, other than Ms. Todd, asked a question on the list
and got criticized for being a "student" on a list that is "reserved"
for teachers. Some "teachers" got upset because they were taken to task
for being elitist.

Well, the thread from Ms. Todd demonstrates the error of their
arrogance. I sure most of the people on this list would have loved to
have this student in their class. I am also sure that most of the people
of this list had a real appreciation for being able to experience a
young mind wrestling with concept and issues of this nature. Maybe she
also likes make-up, and clothes, and skateboards, and rap, and Party of
Five, and MTV. But it is working and observing and "reading the mail" of
young minds like hers that should affirm our roles as teachers.

To which I can only reply: Amen.

"Colleges and universities are places where those
fundamental activities -- taking care of the offspring,
revering the ancestors -- come together in a single effort.."
- Robert Pinsky, US Poet Laureate
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344 FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/