Re: is free-fall an inertial frame?

1) Newtonian response:

<snip>

In this paradigm, an object in free fall at the earth's surface is
impelled by the gravitational force of the earth. In searching for an
inertial frame, this force must be taken into account.

As you mentioned, in searching for an inertial frame, we look for a
way to write F=ma. If we choose rotating frames, we quickly run into
problems doing this. But it is easy enough to find a frame in which
we can write F=mg.

2) GR response:
You are entirely correct; there is no "real" gravitational force; only
"real" forces must be removed to experience force free motion. (But then
things are not so simple as in the F=ma paradigm.)

Yes, I seem to understand the GR situation much better (oddly in my
estimation). I wonder why in searching for an inertial frame in the
Newtonian response, free-falling frames are ignored or avoided (see
my response to John Denker's post). There would not appear to be the
same basis for "avoidance" of a free-fall as for a rotating frame,
when trying to find an inertial frame.

Stefan Jeglinski