what is science?

i've said:
"Any scientist who says of an observed event, that it couldn't happen
because we don't understand how or why it could happen, is a poor
scientist."

i'd love some comments on this from y'all. :-)

Hi all-
Hershel Neuman supplies us with the following quote from a bunch of educators:
Science is the systematic enterprise of gathering knowledge about the world
and organizing and condensing that knowledge into testable laws and
theories.

The success and credibility of science is anchored in the willingness of
scientists to:

(1) expose their ideas and results to independent testing and replication by
other scientists; this requires the complete and open exchange of data,
procedures, and materials;

(2) abandon or modify accepted conclusions when confronted with more
complete or reliable experimental evidence.

Adherence to these principles provides a mechanism for self-correction that
is the foundation of the credibility of science.
*****************************

Dr. Lois Breur Krause
Department of Geological Sciences
442 Brackett Hall
Clemson University
Clemson SC 29634

teaching chemistry, physics, astronomy and geology to elementary education
majors.

How We Learn and Why We Don't: Student Survival Guide,
available from International Thompson Publishing, ISBN 0324-011970

http://home.earthlink.net/~breurkrause

krause@clemson.edu