Re: how do you manage? (was Re: [Fwd: The Scout Report...)

At 21:15 -0700 8/16/99, Jack Uretsky wrote:
Hi all-

I have given up trying to define "science"; I don't think I know what
it is. I know what my colleagues and I do, and I know that sometimes some of
my colleagues stray beyond the bounds of credibility ("everyone is a bit daft
but thee and me, and sometime thee seem a bit queer"). I don't know how the
quoted definition helps. I don't think that it necessarily excludes
astrology -
and I would not include astrology as a science.
Regards,
Jack

The half-assed "definition" of science endorsed by the AAPT is a
guileless attack on the cretin science folks which has only its
bald-faced honesty to recommend it. Jack is right, but he's too
generous. I believe this statement will have no good effect. As
a card-carrying member of AAPT I repudiate it.

Leigh