Re: 2 million teachers in 2007!

None of the sciences or mathematics are taught within
the college of education and psychology.
If the prospective teachers do not know the science after completing
our program, is it the fault of the college of education?

John C. Park
Science Education
North Carolina State University

Is it possible for a student to sucessfully complete a program
of "science education" without mastering courses in basic
science somewhere?

At NC State, we view the preparation of teachers as a collaborative effort
among all the science departments and with science education. No student
can successfully complete the program without the prerequisite science
knowledge, and the skills in teaching science. Yes, we do have students
who fail our program and who do not get licensure.

The biggest concern I have is not the methods by which teachers are awarded
licensure via undergraduate programs. Our graduates are of high quality
and I entrust them to teach my children. However, I am concerned about the
alternative ways invidivuals can be licensed. These alternative tracks
will become more prevalent due to the large science teacher shortage we are
having at this time, and even a larger shortage in the future.

John C. Park