Re: Misconceptions: Physics of Flight

Michael Edmiston wrote (in part):
Although I personally do not like Bernoulli analysis as a means to
explain lift, I believe it is an analysis that is reasonably valid.
However, to use it you have to know the velocities. These velocities
are best measured in a wind tunnel. But once you have a particular
airfoil in a wind tunnel at some angle of attack and some overall air
velocity, why measure velocity differences and calculate lift when you
can directly measure lift (and drag) from your airfoil support
mechanism?

At 16:16 8/12/99 -0500, Jack Uretsky responded:

Because for some purposes it is important to know the pressure
distribution on the wing. ....
Jack

To name just one: the rivets, stitches or glue holding the upper
wing surface down to ribs have to meet the limit air load. If not,
observers note that the upper surface rises (on a fabric wing)
the trailing edge moves towards the spar, and the
ribs fail in compression/buckling. Not a pretty sight, apparently.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK