Re: 2 million teachers in 2007!

That's an excellent question Herb. Most teachers are not exposed to GOOD
science courses. They are taught science methods, but not science. All it
takes is one good experience to light a fire under them. Why do they want to
do continue this? I can think of many answers. Perhaps they finally see the
wonder and beauty of science without the pressure to do well on an exam.
Perhaps they want to stand out amongst their peers? Perhaps they finally see
the value. remember this stuff is hard work, certainly not easy, asking
someone to critically think and analyze some physical situation. Perhaps
their confidence and mental capacity is greater now.

Think back to when you were in college. At the time, do you think all your
peer students thought science was way cool, or did they see the value? How
many motivating teachers did you have in college? Remember, they're only
taking one physical science course. What's the likehood that a worthwhile
experience was provided for them? Need I say more?

Sam

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

If the elementary school teachers are afraid of science after 12 years
exposure in
elementary and high schools and four or more years of college, how many
years of
such workshops would be required to get them over this hurdle?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where short workshops work for an even shorter time)

On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:50:27 -0400 Lois Breur Krause <krause@CLEMSON.EDU>