2 million teachers in 2007!

At the AAPT meeting in San Antonio last week, Howard Voss (chairman of
ASU's Dept of Physics) received the Melba Newell Phillips Award. At the
end of his talk, he walked over to the audience and told us that 2 million
elementary school teachers will be needed by 2007. He said that this is
frightening. (You know why! This type of teacher traditionally is afraid of
science!) He asked us all to PLEASE work with elementary school teachers,
say in summer science workshops. He pointed out that all 2 million of these
teachers will need to teach science. He said he's done this and that it's
been a rewarding experience for him.

cheers,
Jane

Jane Jackson, Dir., Modeling Workshop Project
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7331. http://modeling.la.asu.edu

"The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after
time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully,
have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth." - Einstein (1931)