Mathematical HTML tags

In a footnote to his field-energy-density message Leigh Palmer wrote:

*I would suggest a pdf file generated from Latex, but given that
I got zero responses when I posted one last week I doubt that the
mode is going to get popular. I can't think in ASCII, and I'm afraid
the comments about even-integer-spin field mediators of interactions
are wasted ...

Here is a relevant message from another list. It states that
Netscape 5.0, to be released this fall, will obey the HTML
tags for displaying traditional mathematical symbols.

Hi,
The MathML team on the Mozilla project (e.g. the
open-source project that is working on the next version
of the Netscape browser) have made good progress.

They now have a screenshot and some information at:
http://people.netscape.com/endico/mathml.gif

and a newsgroup at

What is MathML? It's an XML (XML being a super-set of
HTML that enables you do develop your own tags for
describing a docment) DTD for math information.

What is MathML in Mozilla? MathML in Mozilla means that
when Netscape 5 ships (which should be this fall) we'll have
a standard for developing math information into Web pages,
something we don't have now. And since it's XML it should be
portable into IE 5 (though I don't know this for fact)

And what does this have to do with WebCT? Well one of the
common questions is how to teach math/science over the Web.
Well MathML is one big step in answering this question.

That's about all I know. I'm not a math whiz (heck I failed
freshman algebra in high school ;) so don't ask me about if it's
possible to do a particular problem. Instead direct your
questions to the mathML newsgroup. I'm just trying to
help get this information out to the WebCT community.

Mark