Re: Coriolis

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

I just tried to simulate the Coriolis effect with Interactive
Physics and came to a conclusion that this is not possible
in its two-dimensional universe. Am I correct?

No. In fact possibly my favorite use of IP is in displaying the effects
of rotating reference frames. See my IP page at

http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm/myweb/index.ip.html

for some examples.

In the case you are concerned with, all you have to do is create a
rotating object, select it and create a "New Reference Frame" that is
lnked to it. Thereafter, the motion of all objects will show the effects
of both the coriolis and the centrifugal forces.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajm@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223