Re: Coriolis

Ludwik,
I add to the theoretical approach an appeal to the experience the
students may well have had in walking across a rotation platform (what
we here call a merry-go-round and I think you call a carousel - or
does a carousel have to have wooden horses on it?).
If they have spent all their time in front of a television set and not
in a playground, then I get them to try it out, walking radially in or
out and also tangentially and intermediate directions. It is probably
a good idea to get all of them to do this to refresh their memories
and help them participate in the discussions.
Get them talking about it. They soon identify the frictional forces
on their feet. Get then discussing whether or not there is an
unbalanced net force on them and, if there is, why they are not
accelerated. Etc, etc.
Brian McInnes