Re: Energy, etc

See my response below...

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Brian McInnes wrote:

Robert A Cohen wrote (inter alia)
As such, I prefer to say that an object's kinetic energy increases
because some force does work on the object

I think we should be careful here in the use of the word object.

The statement is necessarily true for a particle but it is not
necessarily true for an extended object. Extended objects are real,
particles are not.

Suppose the object was a person wearing a pair of roller skates,
standing on a polished floor and pushing against the wall of a room.
The object's kinetic energy increases there is no work on the object
by any force. An object's kinetic energy can increase without work
being done on it!

I think this is misleading. As far as I can tell, an object won't speed
up unless there is a net force acting in the direction of the object's
displacement. In other words, an object's kinetic energy can only
increase when there is work done on it, where I define work as

dW = F dot dx = m d(v^2) / 2

In this expression, F is the net force on the object, the same F as in
F=ma. "dx" is the displacement of the object that is being accelerated
(not the force, as if anyone can define the displacement of a force). If
the object speeds up, then there must be a net force in the direction of
the object (and thus F dot dx must be positive).

Just as F=ma can be applied to extended objects, so can dW=dK. If the
extended body's KE changed, there must've been work on on it (i.e., there
must be a net force in the direction of the motion, as in the case of the
skater pushing off the wall). Now, how one identifies *what* did the work
can be a point of debate (or preference), which I'll get to in a little
bit...