Re: Fiber Optic current measurement.

Chuck Britton wrote:

Can anybody supply an order of magnitude estimate of the amount
of rotation to be expected around a few amps of current? (i.e. should
I even TRY detecting it with some simple polaroid filters or are we
talking about some rather sophisticated detection system?)

I've got some surplus fiber that is just BEGGING to be used.

Here is what I see in Fundamentals of Photonix (1991) by
Saleh and Teich (page 225).

"The angle of rotation is proportional to the distance, and the
rotary power, r (angle per unit length) [which] is proportional
to the magnetic flux density [component] in the direction of
wave propagation." In other words r=V*B, where V is known
as Verdet constant.

As explained by Leigh, the length depends on the number of
loops you create around a wire. Ask for the Verdet constant of
the material from which your fiber is made (at the lambda of
your laser). This book does not have a table but it gives an
example. --> For TbAIG V=-1.16 min/(cm*Oe) at lambda of
500 nm. I suppose you can just replace Oe by Gs here. If so
then B=1000 Gs corresponds to r=1160 minutes, or 3.2 degr
for each cm. A fiber of 10 cm, made from this exotic (?),
material would produce the rotation of 32 degrees.

OK, I found a table in another book "Optoelectronics: An
Introduction", by Wilson and Hawkes (p 110). Values of
V are in radians/(meter*Tesla) at lambda of 589.3 nm.

Quartz (SiO2) V=4.0
ZnS V=82.
Crown glass V=6.4
Flint glass V=23.
NaCl V=9.6

THETA=V*B*L

Do not bend your fiber optics too much. This means you
must tolerate small B. I suspect that the current wire along
the axis of your "optical solenoid" will produce the largest
possible angle of rotation for a given current. But this has
to be verified.

Keep us posted on your progress
Ludwik Kowalski