Canoe hoist

Further to my earlier request for help on a practical pulley problem.
I have put a single page document on our server. I would appreciate
comments from members who are interested in this elementary applied
physics problem. I have acquired four of the pulleys and I must still
find a source for four more. I will try it out without the pulleys at
the gunwales, perhaps this evening.

This problem is interesting. It involves simple mechanics and spatial
relations. It would make a challenging high school mechanics problem.

The rig may be seen at http://www.sfu.ca/~palmer/canoe.pdf

Leigh