Re: Energy, etc

Hi Jim-
Sorry, but you lost me, too. Colorful languange communicates
only when everybody is waltzing to the same tune. Otherwise your audience
is likely to feel like they've just been chilled out.
between the moving article to the scenery which
was thought to be immobile. This means they believe they know how to
'relocalize' it!

Whoa! You utterly lost me there. Articles? Scenery? I don't know what
that is, but it's not physics.

Common, John, someone puts a little color in the drab textbook language of
physics -- and you can't understand? _I_ do understand and I think it is
nice. This is worse that in France where if a word is slightly
mis-pronounced, they claim not to be able to understand.
*********************************
Energy flow is a useful concept in discussing high energy particle collisions
and a seqence of collisions on a pool table. I'm certainly comfortable with saying
that the energy imparted by the cue stick is localized in the ball that is
moving after the most recent in a series of collisions. I doubt that students
would have much difficulty with that usage.
Regards,
Jack

"I scored the next great triumph for science myself,
to wit, how the milk gets into the cow. Both of us
had marveled over that mystery a long time. We had
followed the cows around for years - that is, in the
daytime - but had never caught them drinking fluid of
that color."
Mark Twain, Extract from Eve's
Autobiography