Re: Time Units

I have no source for this, but will work on getting
one. In the mean time all I can offer is that I was
once told that the sexagesimal system evolved from a
method of counting that used the thumb as a pointer
and counted off each of the creases of the knuckles of
the same hand (there are 12). In the same vein I was
told that 60 became an important number because each
time the counter reached 12 and started over, one
dozen was noted as one finger on the opposing hand. 5
fingers * 12 creases = 60. Hope that helped or was at
least interesting.

Zach Wolff
University of Arizona