Re: a practical physics problem with pulleys

Leigh,

Rather than answer your question, let me provide a solution. In our coastal
community, large mesh netting is not hard to find. Using hooks or staples
along the rafters, make a saddle of netting and slide the canoe into it.
Usually one person can do it alone, and this way you can stow it with the
paddles, lines, and gear still in it. I don't have a canoe, but I have
stored a two-person and a four-person foam sailboat that way for years now.
Part of the problem with using a tackle is that it takes up room above the
canoe unless you want to use a winch and steel cable with very sturdy sheaves.
Tom Ford