Re: Hot air rising and automobile thermometers

Herbert H Gottlieb asked for a more detailed explanation
of winds. I just found one in the first edition of Physics
by P.A. Tipler. It is an insertion (pages 163 to 165), written
by R. Goody from Harvard University, entitled "Global
Winds". It supports what Leigh's was saying. Later editions
do not contain this insertion; it was probably judged to be
too complicated for an intro course.

While on the subject let me ask a hypothetical question.
Suppose you have access to a machine shop and other kind
of technical support. And that money is not a problem. You
want to buid an AAPT apparatus competition item which
clearly demonstrates that due to Coriolis forces wind
velocities can be parallel, not perpendicular to the "isobaric
lines". You start with the large rotating disk idea. Then what?

Ludwik Kowalski