A MISCONCEPTION ITEM

Those who are new to phys-L may not know
that a list of misconceptions was compiled
here about two years ago. I will repost it
for you in the next message. Please do not
reply under the OLD LIST thread (my next
message). But by all means reply (if you
want to add an item or discuss an item
which is already in the list) under this
A MISCONCEPTION ITEM thread.

This message was prompted by a desire to
add one more (#6) misconception to our
list of over 40 items. Up to yesterday I
would argue that velocities of common
winds are more or less perpendicular to
isobaric lines on weather maps, not parallel.
I became aware of this paradoxical situation
after it was emphasized by Brian Watcott
and Leigh Palmer.

I will continue updating the list items;
if you ask me, privately, at

kowalskiL@mail.montclair.edu

Just a sentence, or a short paragraph, as in
the following sample from the list. Make sure
it is clear what is true and what is not true.

1) The Physics of Flight: It's air-deflection,
not the wing shape.

2) Suppression of convection is the main factor
responsible for higher temperatures in green
houses and closed cars. The misconception is
that absorption by the glass in greenhouses is
the main factor responsible for higher
temperatures inside.

3) Capacitors in series: the equilibrated charges
are not equal in the dc circuits.

4) Melting of ice under skating blades is not due
to high pressure.

5) Coriolis effect does not make the toilet water
go round and round.

6) On our rotating planet common wind velocities
are more or less parallel to the isobaric lines,
not more or less perpendicular. Common winds
are due to regional pressure differences but
the directions of their flows are affected by
planetary rotation (Coriolis effect).

It is fun to discuss student's misconceptions.
Teacher are students and our own misconceptions,
real or resolved, are worth exposing. Knowing them
one may be able to teach physics via paradoxical
situations. Van der Waalse misconception was
mentioned yesterday; perhaps it should become a
list item.

Ludwik Kowalski