Re: hot air rising

At 03:48 PM 7/21/99 -0400, you wrote:
>The air loses temperature as surely as a roller
>coaster loses kinetic energy when it goes up the hill.

ooooooooh, I LOVE this phraseology.
But it won't tear me COMPLETELY away from that glorious
four letter Anglo-Saxon word we so love to discuss.

Well, yes, Chuck, I have been watching -- first carefully -- then in
wonderment and admiration -- posters have uniformly and correctly said "hot
air rises" (sometimes) -- no evil four letter language -- all are hereby
generously given oodles and oodles of praise.

>If the air initially contains moisture, it may happen that it cools to the
>dewpoint before it stops rising, in which case it gets an additional "kick"
>from the latent heat of condensation.
^^^^

ah, FINALLY we once again see the four letter NOUN that we want to banish!

Chuck, this one doesn't count. It is hard to get around this unfortunate
usage.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen