Re: A paradox? Why not?

At 17:59 7/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
I am not totally satisfied with Ludwik Kowalski's explanation of the
"paradox" concerning airlines.
... The number of data points (flight departures) for each entity
being compared (airlines) under different circumstances (cities) are
not the same. Whenever this type of situation occurs, the results
(expressed as fractions or percentages) come out differently if we c
alculate percentages first then average, as opposed to performing data
totals then finding the percentage. That much is clear....

Michael D. Edmiston

A question that has not been voiced:
are these results significant?
Could they have happened by chance?