A "universal" computer language?

In a private message XXX wrote:

I've been using True BASIC for several years. It came with a
linker, which allows you to turn a compiled program into a
program executable on a DOS or Windows machine without
True BASIC. The linker is in the runtime directory.

Is this possible on the MAC? Where can I learn about the
LINKER?

My TRUE BASIC User's Manual (1988) defines LINLING
as putting together the subprogram and all the required
subroutines into one unit before compiling. COMPILING
follows and a machine code is created. I will try to run an
executable on a machine which does not have TRUE BASIC.
But not now.

Thanks to those who reminded me that an "executable" will
run without its language application being present.
Ludwik Kowalski