Understanding, a tangential note

A tangential note to the concept of "understanding":

The new journal Physics Education Research, a supplement to AJP, has in its
first issue an article by Andrew Elby, titled "Another reason that physics
students learn by rote." The final sentence of the abstract reads thusly:

"The results indicate that students perceive "trying to understand physics
well" to be a significantly different activity from "trying to do well in the
course."

Could it be that we are not so different from our students? ;-)

JEG

John E. Gastineau john@gastineau.org
PMB #163 http://gastineau.home.mindspring.com
953 National Road (304) 243-9636 voice
Wheeling WV 26003-6440 (304) 243-9637 fax
USA