Re: Planet rotation

Regarding Chuck Britton's question:

If indeed, as it appears, Venus has retrograde rotation, won't the
sun's tidal effect be to STOP its rotation (relative to the 'fixed'
stars) and then move it toward the non-retrogade rotation that will
match its year?

That is the direction of the change the Sun's tidal effect would have on
the rotation of Venus, but *I think* that there is not enough time
available for the synchronization to occur since long before this time
the Sun is expected to eat Venus when it swells out as a red giant in
about 5 billion years (as I recall).

David Bowman
dbowman@georgetowncollege.edu

David is correct, but the time for this interaction to complete the
locking process is not readily calculable. I've been working on the
interesting problem of Neptune and Triton without much success. The
process approaches completion asymptotically anyway, since in the
end the relative motion will be nutation about the lock with ever
diminishing amplitude. I should also mention that another tendency
of such two body tidal interactions is circularization of the orbit.

Leigh